On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 9:18 PM Björn Larsson <bjorn.x.lars...@telia.com>
wrote:

> Den 2021-11-02 kl. 15:19, skrev Nikita Popov:
> > Hi internals,
> >
> > The migration from bugs.php.net to GitHub issues has already been
> discussed
> > in https://externals.io/message/114300 and has already happened for
> > documentation issues.
> >
> > I'd like to formally propose to use GitHub for PHP implementation issues
> as
> > well: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/github_issues
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nikita
> >
> Hi,
>
> The current proposal is to move all new issues from bugs.php.net to
> Github except security ones.
>
> I think it's important to think a bit on what that means for reporting
> security issues in the future. I mean, if we leave bugs.php.net to rot
> in the corner, what are the consequences for reporting security issues?
>
> I think that aspect needs to be a bit further analysed like:
> - Will this move have a negative impact on reporting security issues
>    on bugs.php.net?
>    # Both from a technical and people perspective.
> - Can one assume that by bugs.php.net having probably even less
>    attention, that reporting security issues will work as is?
> - Is there an alternative for also handling security issues?
>
> Think it would be good if the RFC could analyse that a little, besides
> saying business as usual for security issues.

I don't think there's much more to say than that -- it should indeed be
business as usual. The only complication I see for security issues is that
we will not be able to easily move security issues that turn out to be
non-security bugs over to GitHub. As such, we may have a very low number of
new bugs appearing on bugs.php.net by being reported as security issues
first and being reclassified later. I don't view that as an immediate
problem, because to start with, we'll still be working with recent reports
on bugs.php.net anyway. Longer term, I do hope that GitHub will provide a
way to report issues privately (i.e. as indicated in
https://github.blog/2021-11-12-highlights-github-security-roadmap-universe-2021/),
so that we can consolidate everything in one tracker. But given the lack of
clear roadmap for this, I'm not basing any plans on it yet.

I do think that the handling of security issues is the weakest part of this
move, and probably the only area where choosing a different platform could
have a tangible advantage. However, we receive orders of magnitude less
security issues than other reports, and there is a much smaller number of
people involved in handling them, so I don't think we need to put too
strong a focus on this aspect.

Regards,
Nikita