On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 10:16 PM Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2022, 10:31 AM Kris Craig <kris.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 4:51 AM Marco Pivetta <ocram...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> But that doesn't mean we should be using the PHP website to start taking
>> sides in military conflicts.
>>

> There is no side to take but the population in Ukraine, friends, family,
> colleagues as well as in Russians, the victims of a dictatorship' lies.
>
> I don't see any issue to show our support for them, quite the opposite, I
> do see an issue not to show it. A link to red cross and other ong
> supporting refugees and civilians is not political, it is being a human.
>
> It does not mean we take a political side. As much as there is not much to
> discuss about that, but the deconstruction,  point by point, of every
> single claim to justify this invasion, but php.net is not the place for
> that.
>
> best,

I think we need to draw a really important distinction here then.  On the
one hand, you describe showing support for the Ukrainian people, civilians,
refugees, and relief organizations.  I agree with you on this, as I imagine
most would.  Helping the innocent shouldn't be political.  But on the other
hand, you have other people here advocating that we condemn the invasion,
itself, as well as Russia and Vladimir Putin.  While I agree they're fully
deserving of condemnation, this part is inherently political, and I
question the appropriateness of including such a blatantly political
message on our website.  I don't oppose the message, itself, but I do fear
the precedent it would set, especially in the absence of previous
condemnations by us of illegal invasions in the past.

If all we're talking about is a message of solidarity with the victims of
war, I'm all for it.  I'd also be for a general condemnation of all illegal
wars/invasions, including this one.  At least then we're being consistent
IMO.