On 29/04/2022 03:04, Juliette Reinders Folmer wrote:
And that's basically exactly what I already did which led me to discover the patterns I posted about as they looked concerning (though I didn't use Nikic's tool, but the WIP PHPCompatibility sniff)...

I scanned a significant number of widely-used codebases and their dependencies and used the PHPCS `--report=code` view to see the code being flagged in context. - Some of the things flagged were/are false positives (WIP sniff, still fine-tuning), which I could dismiss out of hand. - Some of the things flagged is code which will start throwing deprecation notices (all good). - Some code pattern flagged peaked my curiousity as they wouldn't throw a deprecation notice, but would lead to reversed behaviour... which is when I posted about this in the channel with the typical pattern I identified as dangerous without deprecation notice.

Great, that's all I wanted to hear, I'm not sure why it became such an argument.

I just didn't want to be having another conversation in a year's time with people whose code is raising deprecation notices they can't do anything about, because we made assumptions about how something's used without actually looking at it.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]