On 12-5-2022 23:30, Claude Pache wrote:

Le 12 mai 2022 à 23:11, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com> a écrit :

For the `callable` type declaration, I'm not opposed but is it redundant with
the existing deprecation?  When would you pass a callable to something and not
end up calling it anyway, which would trigger the existing deprecation?
(Meaning in practice you'd always get 2 deprecations, which are not necessarily
better than one.)
Although such a callable is probably intended to be called at some point, it is
not necessarily called immediately, and it may be easier to track the source of
it when you trigger the deprecation earlier. Example:

```php
public function registerErrorHandler(callable $onerror) {
     $this->onError[] = $onerror;
}
```

(Of course, this argument also holds for `is_callable()`.)

—Claude

Exactly as Claude says and to quote the RFC:

> While it will be common to use the partially supported callable in a callback function call within the function with the type declaration, this may not always be the case, especially in frameworks where callbacks can be registered to be executed later in a limited set of circumstances and those circumstances may not be met by default.

> Without a deprecation notice, those “/limited circumstances callbacks/” may not be discovered as needing updating in time for PHP 9.0.

Ref: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/partially-supported-callables-expand-deprecation-notices#adding_a_deprecation_notice_for_callable

Smile,
Juliette