On Aug 26, 2004, at 8:51 PM, Naik, Roshan wrote:

http://www.zend.com/php5/andi-book-excerpt.php says

"In PHP 5, all XML extensions have been rewritten to use the superb libxml2 XML toolkit"

But the official docs http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.xml.php
on XML extension say under the requirements section

" This extension uses expat, which can be found at http://www.jclark.com/xml/expat.html.";

This is no longer correct. It _can_ use expat, but by default it uses an expat compat layer.

There used to be some talk about "bundled libxml". I couldn't find any bundled libxml2 in the PHP5 distribution. Is ext/libxml2 it ? .. or do I need to pick it up from xmlsoft.org ?

You do. There was active discussion about a year and a half ago as to whether to bundle it or not. The decision was 'not'. Search the archives if you are interested in the various points.

I would prefer to use libxml2 for all extensions really.

Then you're in luck, because PHP5 does.

George