Hi,

> http://www.zend.com/php5/andi-book-excerpt.php says
>
> "In PHP 5, all XML extensions have been rewritten to use the superb libxml2
> XML toolkit"
>
> But the official docs http://us4.php.net/manual/en/ref.xml.php
> on XML extension say under the requirements section

> " This extension uses expat, which can be found at
>  http://www.jclark.com/xml/expat.html.";

Unfortunately nobody from phpdoc had found the spare time to update the docs.
If you file a bug report at bugs.php.net (Documentation problem) it will be
adressed sooner or later, as somebody finds time.

> There used to be some talk about "bundled libxml".
> I couldn't find any bundled libxml2 in the PHP5 distribution.
> Is ext/libxml2 it ?
> .. or do I need to pick it up from xmlsoft.org ?

Yes, you have it to pick up from xmlsoft.org

> I would prefer to use libxml2 for all extensions really.

It's possible, read the output from ./configure --help ;-)

Friedhelm
--
http://www.jungle-world.com/