On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 7:09 PM Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
wrote:

> Ilija Tovilo and I are happy to present the first new RFC for PHP 8.3:
> Asymmetric Visibility.
>
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/asymmetric-visibility
>
> Details are in the RFC, but it's largely a copy of Swift's support for the
> same.
>
> --
>   Larry Garfield
>   la...@garfieldtech.com
>
> --

Just wanted to point out that I loved syntax proposals by Juliette and
Mike. Any of them would be better. Making a better syntax for PHP would be
better than consistency with Swift, IMO.

But I'm also inclined to agree with Marco Pivetta that this change is a lot
less exciting now that we have `readonly`. In extremely rare cases where I
need to modify an attribute more than once, I just fallback to private +
getter and the nice thing about it is that it creates a consistent mindset
that if a property is being accessed via a getter, then the reader should
be advised that the property may change depending on WHEN it's accessed.

--
Marco Deleu