On 25 August 2022 16:06:48 BST, "Tim Düsterhus" wrote:

>- I've noticed that 'unserialize()' already emits E_WARNING for some types of
>error (e.g. out-of-bounds integers), so users already need to be prepared for
>E_WARNING to be emitted. I've adjusted the aforementioned Notice to Warning,
>but we might be able to directly jump to UnserializationFailedException from
>the existing warnings?

IMHO, any change from Warning or lower to Exception or Error is a clear
Breaking Change, because it can make a program that runs successfully under one
version abort mid-process in another.

So, while it probably makes sense for all serialisation errors to consistently
throw, that should be planned for 9.0, and everything that's not already an
exception could raise a consistently formatted E_WARNING in 8.3.

Regards,

--
Rowan Tommins
[IMSoP]