On 18 Jan 2023, at 12:22, G. P. B. <george.bany...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I appreciate being shown concrete cases about the useful ness of this
> operation.
> The reason I didn't go with adding support for decrementing alphanumeric
> strings is that it was unanimously rejected.
> However, if Rowan's suggestion of adding
> string_increment()/string_decrement() with more rigorous behaviour (that we
> can flesh out together) would be part of this proposal, would you be more
> inclined to accept deprecating ++ from performing this feature?

Hi George,

I don't have a vote at the moment (I think I need one more RFC to pass)... but
you might be able to convince me, I just like to know that breakages are really
worth it, because my biggest issue is trying to get developers to upgrade their
PHP installs (a lot are still on 7.4).

I agree that some of the incrementing behaviour can be a bit weird, and I would
be happy to see those be deprecated/removed; but I worry that the A, B, ..., Z,
AA, AB, etc is something that works well today, and is likely to be tricky to
find/replace with a new function in all existing code.

At the moment I'd prefer Option 2 or 3, with the focus being on "tiding up the
behaviour of the alphanumeric string to make it stricter and less error-prone."

Craig