On 18/01/2023 17:10, Craig Francis wrote:
I agree that some of the incrementing behaviour can be a bit weird, and I would
be happy to see those be deprecated/removed; but I worry that the A, B, ..., Z,
AA, AB, etc is something that works well today, and is likely to be tricky to
find/replace with a new function in all existing code.

Replacing the use of an existing operator with a new function call, but only in certain circumstances (for alpha increments but not for numeric increments) would also be a pain; we'd have to examine every instance of ++ use to see what datatype it was being used on (SA tools won't necessarily help with that); and when looping over Excel rows and columns it would seem strange allowing the ++ operator for rows, but having to use a function call for columns when all previous code also used ++.

--
Mark Baker