On 2023/02/09 19:04, Tim Düsterhus <t...@bastelstu.be> wrote:
> However based on the discussion of the RFC I believe that voters may have
> assumed that a "No" means "A cleanup is not allowed", because several
> participants expressed an active aversion to a cleanup during the
> discussion. As for myself I've certainly had that understanding when casting
> my vote.

Voting "NO" means no change - and currently, cleanup is not allowed,
which you can see from the fact that all of my code cleanups were
either rejected or reverted.

> Disallowing a clean-up would require 33% of votes, whereas allowing
> clean-up would require 66% of votes. The status quo "decide on a
> case by case basis" would no longer be legal even without a clear
> agreement.

It is indeed unfortunate that a supermajority is required for all
primary votes, because in this case, requiring only a simple majority
would be favorable IMO.

It is not clear whether the current rule is "decide on a case by case
basis"; it has been argued that my code cleanup shall be
rejected/reverted because that would make merging branches harder.

- If that alone is reason enough to reject/revert a code cleanup
  change, then this applies to all kinds of code cleanup, and no code
  cleanup is currently allowed.  -> "case by case" doesn't count.

- If that alone is NOT reason enough to reject/revert a code cleanup,
  then more reasons need to be brought forward to hold my code
  cleanups off.

Max