On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 at 14:14, Max Kellermann <max+...@blarg.de> wrote:

> On 2023/02/22 13:45, Max Kellermann <max+...@blarg.de> wrote:
> > 13 years ago, there was commit
> > https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/477649cd3f09 which attempted to
> > fix this, but was reverted on the same day by commit
> > https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/16450418b188 with just commit
> > message "Revert bad patch" but nothing else, no explanation what was
> > bad about the patch.
>
> Oh look, there was an "edit war" with a bunch of commits repeatedly
> adding and commenting this "unset LDFLAGS" line:
>
>  https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/c4d84aa33390
>  https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/21a6e1f96229
>  https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/937358ebc7a6
>  https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/477649cd3f09
>  https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/16450418b188
>
> --

>From my quick check, the unset is initially done to move the currently
set flags to extra flags variable and clean the variable for further
additions so there are no duplicate ones or something like that.
https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/9417570dc1f31a0e3ddb9f6736a547c87ce7cfba

There seems to be another unset done to this change here:
https://github.com/php/php-src/commit/c4d84aa33390045cd4ff542719a0f79cff52fb7c
which fixed some bugs related to linker errors and duplicate symbols.
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=14616
https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=14824

Most likely, some of those three unset lines could be removed today,
yes, but I can't be sure. If removal would fix some bug, then probably
it is time to remove them and see where things break afterwards.