Hi Internals,

As you have possibly already experienced, overloaded signatures cause
various smaller and bigger issues, while the concept is not natively
supported by PHP. That's why I drafted an RFC which intends to phase out
the majority of overloaded function/method signatures and also forbid
the introduction of such functions in the future:
https://wiki.php.net/rfc/deprecate_functions_with_overloaded_signatures

I'm not sure at all what the best solution would be to get rid of the
overloaded FFI methods, so I hope that someone comes up with a better idea.
Currently, the RFC suggests deprecating and then removing the static
methods in question, but I hope that we can find a more elegant approach.
So this section is incomplete and it's just for starting the discussion.

Regards,
Máté