> How common is it in the wild?  I am pretty sure I've used it myself
without really thinking many times, which I suspect is common.  Knowing how
much code would be impacted would determine how we'd go about deprecating
it and on what timeline.

I'm not sure how would be possible to find out. I suppose most of the
frameworks (and thus popular PHP libraries) avoid this constant as showed
in Drupal and Carbon. The scanning of popular libraries will not show the
scale of the problem (however I will do it tomorrow) Helpful fact is that
those constants are just constants so it's easily replaceable with
strings 'Y-m-d\\TH:i:sO'
and 'D, d M Y H:i:s \\G\\M\\T'.