Hi Peter

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 9:44 AM Peter Kokot <p...@php.net> wrote:

> I was wondering if it would be useful to add GitHub milestones for the
> PHP-8.4 and PHP-9.0 (or PHP-next or something like this)?
> https://github.com/php/php-src/milestones
>
> Because some pull requests might target versions after the PHP-8.4 and it
> might be useful to have them additionally sorted to not forget about them.
> Not to tag all PRs of course but only those which are meant to go into some
> of the future branches.

Milestones have already been used in the past
(https://github.com/php/php-src/milestones?state=closed), so there's
no reason not to do the same for 8.4 and 9.0. Most likely, we just
forgot. It's probably not documented as part of the release process.

RFCs that have actionable tasks for the next major version should be
listed under "Pending Implementation / Landing" on the RFC page:
https://wiki.php.net/rfc#pending_implementationlanding

Adding them to a GitHub Milestone would make it a bit more explicit.
As for PRs that don't have an RFC, adding them to a milestone
definitely makes sense. However, PRs that may only be merged in the
next major version, and _don't_ require an RFC are extremely rare.

Ilija