Hi,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:26 PM Ilija Tovilo <tovilo.il...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 9:44 AM Peter Kokot <p...@php.net> wrote:
> >
> > I was wondering if it would be useful to add GitHub milestones for the
> PHP-8.4 and PHP-9.0 (or PHP-next or something like this)?
> > https://github.com/php/php-src/milestones
> >
> > Because some pull requests might target versions after the PHP-8.4 and
> it might be useful to have them additionally sorted to not forget about
> them. Not to tag all PRs of course but only those which are meant to go
> into some of the future branches.
>
> Milestones have already been used in the past
> (https://github.com/php/php-snilrc/milestones?state=closed
> <https://github.com/php/php-src/milestones?state=closed>), so there's
> no reason not to do the same for 8.4 and 9.0. Most likely, we just
> forgot. It's probably not documented as part of the release process.

We actually decided not to do it for 8.3 because it would be just waste of
time to set all PR's with that milestone. The thing is that PR should just
get merged when it's ready and we won't be delaying release because some
PR's in that milestone are not ready so it does not have any meaning.

I'm not really sure if there's any point to have non-draft PR's targeting
next major version because they cannot be merged to master until it is
decided the next version will be the major one. So those PR's should be
draft but it might make sense to create milestone for them to show quickly
why they are in draft.

So I don't think there is much point in adding 8.4 milestone but 9.0 might
be useful.

Regards

Jakub