Lester Caine wrote:
Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

I am still quite skeptical of this bundled libtool idea. It is currently broken even on mainstream systems such as Debian x86 where do to the crappy packaging it is really important that people can build their own. See http://lerdorf.com/php/libtool.txt for a ./buildconf && ../configure run on a current 4.3.11-dev on a Debian x86 box.

<snip>

Simply doing a cp /usr/bin/libtool . and re-running make fixes it and the resulting binary works fine.

This may be fixable, but aren't the chances better that the native libtool will work on the native machine?

So where are we on compiling PHP on AMD64 systems.

Works ok as far as I know. The above-mentioned problem turned out to be an incompatibility between my own ltmain.sh I was using and the m4-generated libtool. With a completely clean tree it does work.

-R