On 8/9/05, Rasmus Lerdorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> PHP by default compiles as a non-pic shared library now which is just as
> fast as a static build inside Apache since it is the pic stuff that
> slows down a DSO.  So there is really no need for static builds anymore,
> unless you happen to be on a fringe OS that doesn't support non-pic
> shared libs.

This is good to know. I guess it is time to rewrite my
build-a-new-webserver script. It has seen changes over the years but
not a comprehensive reevaluation.

> > Still, I looked at lighttpd and it looks promising. The one thing that
> > started all of this was Apache 2.1's event MPM that used a single
> > thread to handle all open Keep-Alives looked very efficient.
>
> I think you are probably better off solving this in a lightweight
> frontend process.  Chances are you are going to need lingerd if you go
> keepalive, so perhaps the real solution is to make lingerd handle not
> just the shutdown, but also the startup of the request.

You know, I remember considering lingerd a long time ago... and I feel
like an idiot for not using all these years! If it is not in my script
it doesn't cross my mind. So I have that on today's todo list. (This
seems like something Apache2 should do automatically in its threaded
MPMs, not that we would be using mod_php here or anything, but maybe

I am confused by your statement above, so I have tried not to email
back until I could find more information, but I could not. In the
lingerd website it says "lingerd can only do an effective job if HTTP
Keep-Alives are turned off" which is confusing when compared to your
statement above. Unless you are combining it with the lightweight
process (I assume a proxy server). Then it makes sense. Except for the
part about having lingerd hande the startup of the request, at which
point I'm clueless again.