On 15 February 2007 16:45, Antony Dovgal wrote:

> > > .. it was explained that it's not a release, but a release
> > > candidate. ?
> >
> > I know that, you know that, but thousands don't know what a release
> > candidate even is :)
>
> Then we should describe the difference as clear as we can.

DON'T use the word release -- it may carry on being a release candidate to
those in the know, but in my opinion "release" is likely to imply "official" to
your general everyday user. Call it a preview, or test version, or similar. The
word blocks could run something like this:

  Current Release: 5.2.1
  For production use

  Preview of version 5.2.2
  For testing only

or maybe even as simple as

  Current Release: 5.2.1

  Next version: 5.2.2

-- I think the use of the word "Next" is a very clear indicator of its status,
and may not require further qualification.

I suppose, in either case, you could leave RCx appended to the second version
number -- even if you don't know what RC stands for, this is another clue that
it's not a standard released version. (And serious RC testers can see when it
changes, too!)

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm