On 02/16/2007 01:21 AM, Antony Dovgal wrote:
We also can add a detailed description of what is release candidate, what's the difference comparing to a release etc. to qa.php.net and add a link to that page in the block. Actually, I'll try to write something tomorrow.

Please comment and correct (if needed).

Release Candidates
------------------

Release candidates are development packages released to check if any critical
problems have slipped into the code during the previous development period.
Release candidates are NOT for production use, they are for testing purposes only even though in most cases there are (almost) no differences between the general
availability (GA) release and the last RC.
You can help us detect problems by installing and testing release candidates
on your own (non-production!) server.

Installation problems.
First of all, make sure the build process (on *nix only) and installation went
fine for you.
PHP supports quite a number of operating systems on different platforms and we
continue
to work on increasing this number.
Although, you might encounter some problems during the installation and we would
like to know about them.

Test engine.
When done with the build, please run the test engine by using the 'make test'
command
and send us the results (hit 'Y' when it asks you whether to send the report).
This way we'll receive the required information about your system to fix the
problems
detected by the test suite (if any).

Real-life tests.
We would also appreciate if you install the RC on your development server and
run
your software. This would help us to detect any (unintentional) changes between
the release candidates and general releases.
Such real-life tests are the most valuable because our test suite obviously
cannot
cover every possible use case (but we're working on that).

--
Wbr, Antony Dovgal