Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Perhaps the real argument here is whether we should be doing Unicode at all?

I've watched these debate with tremendous interest.  i18n is one of my
pure 'hobbies' (my 'clients' are all quite happy with ISO-8859-1, and
one of my backgrounds is WinNT where everything became unicode within
the OS.)

I'm pondering if utf-8 as the 'default' encoding wouldn't have been a
more effective approach than pure unicode wide-chars, but no matter how
you slice this, there will be several points of pain in the transition.

Rethinking in terms of utf-8 might be an interesting exercise, just to
draw up a comparison of 'what is broken' when sliding between a PHP5 ISO
charset and a PHP6 Unicode or utf-8 charset.