I found a patch by Derick online to allow for scalar type hinting, and
made it work with the newest snapshot of PHP 5.3. I also added the
ability to type hint for resources. I would like to ask that it be added
to the next PHP release. It allows type hinting for int, float, bool,
string, resource, and object, I also added the ability to use the
secondary keywords for all of these types (such as double, real, long,
etc.).

It will maintain 100% backwards compatibility, as the type hinting is
100% optional, implemented in the same way as array/class type hinting.

I have the patch on my PC, please let me know where and when i can
submit it. I'd be happy to do the patching and submission myself, just
asking for permission here.