Pierre,
Pierre Joye wrote:
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 5:42 PM, Ulf Wendel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

What's your point, what requests are you talking about?

Please ask Johannes, I told them to him live last time we met. If
there is doubts, I will happily repeat them.

I saw one person complaining about mysqlnd being compiled into PHP although
no mysql extension was compiled into PHP: bug - open to anybody to fix.

Ok, I will fix that as It does not make sense to enable mysqlnd when
no mysql extensions are enabled (but that's the least of my worries).

  PHP has a
very vivid team of developers fixing many issues before they go down to the
maintainers, see the constant work on bug reports. I relied on that to
happen. Is that the issue you are talking about?

How can that happen when you do many maybe unrelated changes in one
commit? How can I (or other) granulary review a commit in this case
(if something is broken)?

We are one week before a freeze and we just see than one of the most
important change for this release is developed outside our tree, I
seriously hope that you understand our worries (I'm not alone to
worry). We may not have have the time to deal with the last minutes
issues introduced by a last minute sync (== disable).

the sync you saw was mostly whitespace. As an example during my vacation Dmitri of the Zend fame complained about valgrind problems with mysqlnd. I took time from my vacation to look after the cause and provide patches, _through_ CVS, for him and all the community to resolve the problems. Is that a closed source development?

If I today commit the async stuff, you will see it as one patch, one big patch, which you will have hours to review in its whole. It won't be series of patches which you have to connect to realize the whole picture.

On another topic, the branches. I have the feeling that HEAD is pretty much abandoned, changing constantly in some direction. I and we look at HEAD in a different way. If HEAD would have been released today as PHP6 the MySQL extension would have been ready for that. Nobody likes merges, but we do make them. Both MySQL extensions were fully Unicode ready with tests using 2 and 3 byte UTF-8 sequences so we can _ensure_ quality. It's not a playground with half-baked features. Either you get something baked or you don't get it.

--
Pierre

http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org

Andrey