On 26.09.2008, at 12:04, Michael Wallner wrote:

Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
well the question is does it fix some real world bugs? this late in the
game i would not want to include these changes if they "just" add
features ..

Huh? :)  The question to me is, why did you ask me to do it, when
you're not sure what it's about? Not to be anally at all... ;)

I guess we cleared up the misunderstanding on IRC.

The greatest plus to me are:
        - getting rid of monolithic php_end_ob_buffer()
        - getting rid of output handler specific code in SAPI.c
- being able to hook from the running output handler to change it's behavior - being able to clearly configure conflicts and reverse conflicts between output handlers

These are all convincing arguments to have done this earlier. But Johannes and I are a bit worried, that this code did not see that much testing since it was checked in to HEAD quite a while ago. And seeing that the backport is mainly cleanup and not bug fixing, we are a bit worried about the risk this backport has (not necessarily in it introducing bugs, but more about BC issues here and there). Especially since it seems that you are the only one who actively looks after output buffering .. (Johannes actually asked to have this stuff in PHP 5.3 months ago, but you were a bit MIA back then .. and nobody else showed interest).

So unless you can take our worries away in terms of BC issues, I guess we would prefer to leave this patch out of PHP 5.3. Sorry about the misunderstanding and the work you put into producing this patch.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]