On 26.09.2008, at 21:59, Pierre Joye wrote:

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

So unless you can take our worries away in terms of BC issues, I guess we
would prefer to leave this patch out of PHP 5.3.

I strongly disagree, for two reasons:

1. We are going to release an alpha3, that's the perfect time for such change

Perfect might be overstating things. Lets say it makes it possible to even consider it.

2. The OB code is messy right now, Mike's work cleaned it up and makes
it more maintainable. 5.3 is going to be here for a long time, let
make our work easier.

Well but messy just means its even harder to ensure BC. Like I said in my mail, we would have loved to have seen this earlier (when Johannes originally asked for this). The fact that nobody stepped up back then is also telling us RM's that there is a definitive risk that if there are issues, we might end up with a similar situation as back then. Without having evaluated the code in the last detail, it seems that OB stuff is not small or self contained by any stretch of the definition. Given that this patch fixes no existing bugs, we have decided that its too risky to do right before what we hope will be the final alpha3 in one of the most feature rich minor releases in PHP history. We do not want to risk delay this release for something that might be messy, but has/does work more or less reliably for people.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]