A simpler approach might be to just make the mailing list software enforce a 1 email per 24-hour day per user. It would require a bit more upfront work to munge the software, but wouldn't require any ongoing effort. Moderation can get messy since it isn't simply spam we or off-topic messages we are trying to control here, it is the volume, quality and timeliness of on-topic messages. I'm not sure moderation is the answer to that. We need a behavioural change here.

-Rasmus