Lester Caine wrote:
> Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
>> Some additional links to get started:
>> http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/php-src/NEWS?view=markup&pathrev=PHP_5_3
>> http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/php-src/UPGRADING?revision=PHP_5_3
>
> While I know that ...
> - All ereg functions are deprecated and emit E_DEPRECATED errors.
>   Use PCRE (preg_*()) instead.
>
> ... is accurate, I think a little more detail would help here, since
> many of us probably did not know that 'split' was an ereg function -
> for instance?
>
> I THINK that split() maps to explode() without needing any mapping of
> the parameters?

split() splits a string using a regular expression. explode() splits
using a fixed string.
While it's likely many people is using split() for cases where explode()
should be used*, usages really using regex can't be replaced by
explode()  (preg_split()
<http://es.php.net/manual/en/function.preg-split.php> is the equivalent
function... with the other regexes)

*Including one in the split manual page.