Johannes Schlüter wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 18:20 -0500, Greg Beaver wrote:
>
>> I'd like to consider instead using svn:externals to pull in PEAR stuff
>> directly from a STABLE branch from somewhere in the pear/ hierarchy.
>> This would allow us over at PEAR to push the installation phars into
>> that branch at the same time a release is made, and would also allow
>> quick fixes by a quick revert to a previous revision.
>>

> How does this work with tagging or releases?
> Currently the phar thing isn't tagged at all when building PHP releases,
> but I assume the svn:externals would be copied as is and might lead to
> wrong assumptions (like that a newer version was included) meaning we
> make the tagging more complex or avoiding confusion.

All good points.  What I imagined was that a specific revision would be
linked to by the svn:externals definition, so that when a branch is
made, this revision information is preserved in the svn:externals
property.  This is actually better than what we have now, because the
latest stable is always downloaded, so reproducing an exact release of
PHP is not possible without knowing which installation phar was used by
manually checking release dates.  In addition, the svn:externals would
point at a branch of the pear stuff named STABLE - which would either be
auto-updated when we release, or updating it would trigger a release
(not sure which will actually happen yet since this is all
hypothetical), so that your next concern would become moot.
> Additionally: With the current process I can be assured that the package
> being used is a released" package, such a linkage might catch a random
> dev version or bad version numbers or ....
Greg