On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 05:12:43PM GMT, Christian Schneider
[cschn...@cschneid.com] said the following:
> Mark Krenz wrote:
> >   But I'm willing to bet that the majority of people are using ereg, not
> > PCRE.  I've known about PCRE in PHP for a while now, but I continue to
> > use ereg because I thought it had better support in PHP and that it was
> > the more "official" function. Guess I was wrong.  I'm sure I'm not the
>
> I guess that's exactly the reason why it is deprecated now: To indicate
> that preg_* are the way to go.

  Uh, really?  That's a rather cryptic way of communicating with people.
Since ereg was there before preg, a lot of people think that ereg is the
more official function.

  There are plenty of functions that were added into PHP to support lots
of different things, I never expected all of them to be well maintained
and wondered if I would use some function if eventually it would get
removed due to lack of support. preg was kinda like that for me.

> As far as I understand ereg will be moved to a PECL-extension to keep it
> around for people who can't switch.

 Then why doesn't it say this anywhere?  So long as the PECL ereg is
exactly the same, then I guess I don't have a problem.  However I still
think this is a change that should have been warned about further in
advance, people might not have PEAR turned on.

  Some brain dead webhosts out there just upgrade across major versions
of PHP without warning their customers and leave a lot of people's code
in broken states. If some major webhost that a lot of sites used did
this, you could suddenly find a lot of websites on the Internet not
working one day. And I think the blame would partially fall on the PHP
devs for not providing enough warning.

> >   If ereg isn't ready yet then 6.0 should be delayed until it is ready.
>
> It probably never will be...

  That's bullshit. Its not like Duke Nukem or something.  I've never
seen a major version of PHP take more than a couple years to release and
PHP 6 seems to be well on its way.  I expected it would be released
sometime in 2010.

> Don't get too worked up on this because (as far as I understand the
> messages on internals) PHP 6 will not be a drop-in replacement for PHP
> 5.3 anyway. Hosters will have to configure it (like installing the
> PECL-extension), developers will have to adapt some code.

 Major versions of PHP seldom are a drop in replacement. ie, you can't
just simply run yum upgrade php and hope for the best, you need to do
the extra code migration work.  However, removing ereg would probably be
the most siginficant changes to PHP ever from a code migration point of
view.

--
Mark S. Krenz
IT Director