On 07.12.2009, at 14:41, Ilia Alshanetsky wrote:

> While the separate branch release for 5.3.1 was a worthwhile experiment, I
> think it creates too much opportunity for missed patches and quite frankly
> makes the whole release process confusing and complicated. My personal
> preference would be that 5.3.2, not be released from a separate branch.

I remember that when I was RM that the need for code freezes was one of the
most painful things to manage. So not having to deal with that seems like a
very appealing target for all involved.

As for risk of missed patches and confusion. I think Pierre did the best he
could to improve the transparency of the process with the wiki page. However we
still have plenty of ways to make this even clearer and more obvious to follow.
Especially integration into the bug tracker (aka milestone support) would go a
long way here. Making sure that every commit has a bug id attached (or if
necessary gets a bug ticket created on the fly and the id injected into the
commit) could also help.

Obviously such infrastructure will not materialize over night, but I would urge
everything to not drop the idea entirely.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org