> Anyway, do we really have to tell people "you don't need it" when they
> believe that they do?
> Python has multithreading and it works reasonably good. People who know
> what they are doing can implement really brilliant solutions (think Tornado)
>
> Interesting thing here threads would require (at least if they are
implemented the way C, etc. threads usually work) whole new protocol of
synchronization too. Just think about something: do you have shared
classes/variables/etc.?
Eve Online in Stackless Python
fmspy.org with stackless python
etc.

> And something like GIL feels like a reasonable compromise to me.

I think PHP is the last from the major scripting languages on the market
without some kind of thread support.
(Cannot find a good comparsion, but Ruby, Python, Perl does some)

Tyrael