As I've mentioned in the past I think we are better off with shorter
release cycles and less features per cycle. Reduces risk and enables
us to push out value faster. For example, we have made (and are still
making) significant performance enhancements to the runtime. It'd be
a shame if that waited until Q4 for alpha. I think with traits,
performance enhancements and a few additional changes we already have
a pretty substantial version.

+1 for quicker PHP releases. Seems like every 5.x release has "changed the world". Would love to see smaller changes as it comes out. Less panic when planning upgrades.

Brian.
brianlm...@php.net