On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 14:06, Patrick ALLAERT <patrickalla...@php.net> wrote:
> 2010/12/2 André Rømcke <a...@ez.no>:
>> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Patrick ALLAERT <patrickalla...@php.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Shouldn't we get rid of that kind of pre-PHP5 stuff _before_
>>> introducing the possible omission of T_FUNCTION?
>>
>> Why?
>> This will break lots of code, does it improve anything while at it? Is 'var'
>> hindering anything? Is it taking up a lot of code?
>> If it is removed then that should be in trunk aka "6.0" the 2nd , and not in
>> 5.x.
>
> It should of course not appear in a 5.x release! But sounds like
> current trunk can't be anyway.
>
> +1 for removing T_VAR and making T_FUNCTION optional in a major release.
> -1 otherwise.
>
> --
> Patrick Allaert
> ---
> http://code.google.com/p/peclapm/ - Alternative PHP Monitor
>
> --

An entire major version relied on the usage of T_VAR within classes.
Many people still use it today.
I therefore am strongly against removing T_VAR, considering it would
break huge amounts of userland code. In either case, it should be
deprecated with an E_DEPRECATED warning during at least another major
before it gets removed.

Regards,
Peter Beverloo