presid...@basnetworks.net wrote:
>>  Its a defacto standard.  Of course there is nothing stopping PHP from
>>  implementing properties that way, but by going against the standard set
>>  by
>>  the rest of the industry, it is very confusing for programmers coming
>>  from
>>  other languages to learn PHP.  A good example is how "==" works
>>  differently in PHP than in other languages.  In PHP, "===" works like
>>  "=="
>>  does everywhere else.  "(string)'0' == (int)0", for example is true in
>>  PHP, but false in most other languages.  I have had countless
>>  conversations with PHP developers who claim the language is "broken",
>>  because == does not work like they expect it to, after which I have to
>>  explain === to them.  This is because PHP goes against the defacto
>>  standard.  Maybe it would have been better if == and === had the
>>  opposite
>>  meaning, as to not squash the standard?
>
>  You have got me there.
>  = is assign
>  == is equal value
>  === is equal type and value
>
>  At least on all the languages I've been using recently ... where is this a
>  problem?

In any language that does not have === it is like this:

= is assign
== is equal type and value

That is where the confusion comes from.  People do not expect "0" and 0 to
be equal, because they are different types.

javascript and C++ both do implicit type conversion (coercion) the same as PHP. You will have to prove that this is NOT the norm. There was a big debate a long time back on stopping implicit type conversion in C++ ... it did not get anywhere. What I am probably asking simply because I don't know is what language are you referring to as I've not come across any. If it's C# then that would explain it ... THAT was created by people who did not accept the consensus agreement in C/C++ ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL