On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <i...@tyrael.hu> wrote:

> if you have a better alternative which is viable, then I would support that.
> otherwise I wouldn't support the all-or-nothing approach.
> thats like if we couldn't add pecl/phpize until it works on every supported
> platform/filesystem combination. (cheers for the upcoming 5.3.6 release)
> and there is a ton of stuff which some point in time (or still ) didn't work
> on all platform.

No, that's a totally different problem. phpize has no impact on the
internal APIs and how things work in the engine or stream.

Making bad things stream (and god knows how many of these things we
already have) has a direct impact on every platform we support. Here
it will be even worst as it will be on every platform+FS combination.

It is pretty much the same as doing drivers specific things as the PDO
level and make them look like being generic. Very very bad idea,
obviously.

Cheers,
--
Pierre