2011.03.15 23:08 Olivier Hoareau rašė:
> Hi Tomas !
>
> Thanks for your proposals.
>

>> Create .deb package and make it dependent on PHP for Debian/Ubuntu.
>> Debian
>> has docs and tools that allow to do that. PHP is in standard
>> Debian/Ubuntu
>> software repository.
>>

> This solution does not provide me one of the goal I need to reach : that
> my
> users be able to use the tool even if they already have PHP installed on
> their system but with a version not compatible with the tool.

You are free to repackage PHP debs and make your package depend on Debian
PHP 5.3 or your PHP 5.3.

I don't think that people are gonna like that kind of approach, having two
binaries with one of them coming from custom source should raise some
concerns and you won't like the prospects of maintaining PHP for older
Debian/Ubuntu versions.

>> Distribute .phar package alone for users who already have PHP. List PHP
>> extensions your package depends on.
>>

> This solution is already in use, but not perfect, for the problem I
> described above, at least, because a small percentage of my targetted
> users (at this moment) are using PHP 5.3+

This method of distribution targets users who can read documentation and
understand what "depends on PHP 5.3" means.

>> Create automated installer for Windows which downloads PHP from the
>> network. See microsoft web platform installer for more ideas.
>>

> This is a possible solution if installing PHP in a custom directory
> without
> system-wide installation and if 2 version of PHP can coexist on the same
> filesystem without conflicts on extensions/php.ini/system variables, do
> you
> have links ? (I will google it)
>
> IMHO your package license is not compatible with PHP license. You can't
>> distribute PHP with BSD license.
>>

> OK, I was not aware of this limitation.
> It is not a problem to modify the license of the tool to one that is
> compatible with PHP license, my purpose is to share something, not to sell
> it. Do you (are others) have advice on this specific points ?

I am not a lawyer. You can distribute installer which downloads PHP from
the net (windows.php.net or its mirrors). If you repackage PHP and
distribute PHP itself and your code in one bundle, your bundle license
must be compatible with PHP license. that's what any layman would think.
Don't mix incompatible licenses in one package.

If small percentage of your targets use PHP 5.3, then your goal should be
to make your package compatible with older PHP version. If you have
deliberately coded with namespaces or other stuff from PHP 5.3, recheck
your coding manual. What is more important for you? Proving to yourself
that you can use complex language constructs in your code or reaching your
target users.

--
Tomas