On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM, Ferenc Kovacs <i...@tyrael.hu> wrote:

> > > That's simply not true. But just because one group of users feel
> strongly
> > > about something doesn't mean it should go in. There has to be some
> level
> > of
> > > curation or we end up with every feature under the sun resulting in a
> > huge
> > > mess.
> >
> > Are you sure?
> > Please take a look at every topic defined on wiki page. Is there ANY
> > topic to be discussed that came from userland?
> > If you say yes, please point me to the thread. What I clearly see
> > there is that every feature defined there came from users with php-src
> > karma.
> >

> there is at least one, mine
>
> but I also think that the core devs and the php userland/community is too
> far away, we would need more people from the userland to contribute to the
> development of the php language.
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/andreizm/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-what-happened-to-unicode-and-php-6
> <
> http://www.slideshare.net/andreizm/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-what-happened-to-unicode-and-php-6
> >“Because
> it’s nearly impossible toparticipate on Internals if yourpoo-throwing arm
> isn’t strong.” — @coates
> “Those with talent, competence, energy,and good ideas over a period of time
> - and who outlast the rest - tend to be the main drivers behind
> PHPdevelopment.”  — @a
>
> Tyrael

Hi,

After having some experience participating in other open-source communities,
specially Joomla (but also Mootools, Doctrine and Symfony), my first
impression when subscribing and reading this list was: "wow, its hostile",
and I automatically refrained from wanting to participate and chose just to
observe for the meantime.

I know every community is different, but, even if a single person states
something that might look like a problem it is an indicator that you might
have it.

I think the PHP community could benefit from a process like Python's PEP
Workflow: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-work-flow.

Personal attacks achieve nothing, and contributing to open-source is MORE
than contributing code, and even if you do contribute, it doesn't look like
it is even an automatic way to get the needed attention. I've seen Guilherme
post several times asking for feedback (i.e. building upon his work, not
just criticizing him) and I have never seen it. I don't think Guilherme
loves spending his afternoons advancing in a patch without the slightest
sense of community direction.

Being brutally honest, looks to me that this generalized attitude/culture
might actually be scaring willing devs away, and the community itself needs
some kind of direction. Here is a recommended watch:

O'Reilly MySQL CE 2010: Jono Bacon, "The Engines Of Community":
http://blip.tv/file/3495291

Best regards,

David