(Andi - I sent this before going out this morning - but I can't see it on the list this evening ... )

Andi Gutmans wrote:
I think one of the problems is that in the past we always ensured that the
extensions for key current technologies were bundled with PHP i.e. mysql, json&
 soap/xml. This was one of our biggest strengths and advantages and it would
propagate to Linux distros, shared hosting, etc.. Therefore, I think we should move
towards bundling some of the key extensions to ensure they are easily found by
people esp. when people are getting them via third parties.

I think people are missing one of the MAIN things here!
How many Linux distributions provide PHP as a single package?

NOTHING needs to be bundled with PHP with the modern methods of package management. We just need to fully document and support adding new packages to the distributed network of what is available. My SUSE 11.4 package list gives a number of perfectly stable third party packages as well as the 'main stream' extensions.

It WOULD be nice to restore the parallel system for Windows with the same configuration of matching packages?

What also works nicely for me is the distributed .ini structure that SUSE introduced. Rather than the vast list of extra package data in php.ini, it is simply stripped out to the relevant package.ini file. Switching packages on and off is just a matter of adding .off to the end of the .ini file name and straight away I can see what I've disabled to test something out.

I would then suggest that some of the things that are currently bundled could also be stripped out to allow finer control. Mysqlnd is a case in point. Why should I have to build my own copy of PHP just to remove that when there is no difference in it being made a shared package? Why do I need APC when I'm happily using eaccelerator ... and so on ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL