Hi!

On 8/2/11 6:25 PM, Hannes Landeholm wrote:
I'm referring to the fact that PHP has a major update once a year.
Looking at it from an agile perspective this is insanely slow. I think
you should use smaller iterations and release faster. The new Mozilla
release schedule is a good example.

Having major changes more frequent would mean people that use PHP would be forced to constantly update their systems to keep up - or would not use most of the new features. It would also mean most of new releases will be unstable for most of their lifecycle - as once they'd stabilize we'd have new version on the way. And we'd need massive quantity of resources to test and fix those.

Just for perspective - we have a lot of PHP 4 code still out there and many still run 5.1. Most projects still can't afford not to have 5.2 support - even though this version is officially dead. Now let's suppose we are "agile" and have 3 versions in a year. That means developers would have to test on 6 or 9 versions of PHP instead of 2 or 3 now. Or people would just ignore all new stuff - and what's the point then?
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/