Just so that my position is clear on the matter:
- I still think that is_a() is working properly the way it does now, after the
change.
- I think the code in isError() is wrong, and should be fixed.
- Had we (the collective we) known that fixing is_a() would result in such
breakage, it would have probably been wise not to fix it in 5.3.x, and wait for
5.4 for this purpose.
- Given that we've already done it - I wouldn't revert it. Fix it in PEAR.
That's the only way to create something that works across all versions of 5.3.x.

Zeev