On 2011-08-25, "a...@akbkhome.com" <a...@akbkhome.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure it's possible to get agreement on if this is a bug or
> not, you might see a bug, I just see this as a pointless change for
> consistency that pretty much nobody will ever need or use.

Please don't generalize based on your own opinions and use cases. I am a
long time PEAR user (and contributor), and I actually agree with the
change.

The reporter of the issue that started this all is a colleague of mine,
Ralph Schindler, and we discussed it in June along with David Zuilke,
who had run into similar issues we had (as well as discussed it with
others in other projects). It's not an isolated request; there are many
who find the current behavior of is_a() (pre-5.3.7) incoherent for
modern PHP usage.

Basically, in our case, we were building a DI container.  To keep the DI
container light-weight, you create definitions that utilize string class
names. In order to determine what injections need to be made, you need
to introspect the class a little -- and this is where is_a() vs
is_subclass_of() vs instanceof comes into play. The latter two _require_
an object instance -- which we may not yet be ready to provide (we may
be trying to determine what to inject into the constructor). is_a() does
_not_ require an object instance...  but prior to 5.3.7 was unable to
test against inherited behavior. As such, the only fallback is the much
more expensive Reflection API.

Having is_a() work properly with string class names and checking the
inheritance hierarchy is a huge improvement, keeps it semantically
consistent with the rest of the language, and provides capabilities
is_subclass_of() cannot (as it cannot check against strings).

> I think I'll leave it as
> a) no bug was ever reported on the previous behaviour.

False -- others in this thread have pointed it out, and I alluded to the
report Ralph issued earlier.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | matt...@zend.com