From: Stas Malyshev [mailto:smalys...@sugarcrm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 6:07 PM
To: Dmitri Snytkine
Cc: 'Sebastian Krebs'; 'PHP internals list'
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] [RFC] Enum proposal (yet another)

Hi!

> For those who keep saying "but this can already be done in php", here is a
> pretty good article.
> Long time ago enums were not available in Java also, so this article
> explains that yes, thigs can technically could be done before the enum,
and
> why certain things are better with enums.

http://javarevisited.blogspot.com/2011/08/enum-in-java-example-tutorial.html

One note here: Java is a statically typed compiled language. PHP is not.
So many arguments regarding type safety, etc. which are completely valid
in regards to Java have no validity in regard to PHP. I understand that
some people want to import some bits from strictly typed languages,
imagining that this will provide them with benefits that statically
typed languages have, namely compile-time safety checks, etc. This does
not work as well in dynamic languages. Note for example that neither
Ruby nor Python have enums, though you can do similar things there.

--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/