jeremiah.do...@gmail.com wrote:
I hope that clarifies things a bit. It definitely doesn't make grokking
things a whole lot easier, and it is certainly *possible*  to follow a
very svnish workflow using git (and may sometimes make sense to,
although I am struggling to thing of such a time).

I've been using Hg myself for the 'DVCS' style of working. This allows me to publish my own ports of things which others can follow, but from which I can push things back to the original project as required. I'm still not convinced that the 'production' branches such as PHP5.3 can be run without some element of management, although of cause a release will still be packaged as a tarball set and then frozen. On Hg I just pull a particular tarball ... such as PHP5.3.10 ... as I require it direct from the repo but some of the projects I am working with have now lost the 'master' codebase simply because groups of developers are now doing their own thing. The overall flexibility of DVCS still needs a mindset of maintaining a code base that follows the master route plan? Which may well be a more 'svnish' way of working when testing and committing production ready code?

The question I think that needs to be asked is 'should experimental development branches exist in the master code base?' all very easy to do with DVCS, but is it practical. Does it not make sense to clone the experimental work from another source, and keep the main codebase tidy with just proven pushes that follow the production path. There is nothing actually stopping someone producing their own private branch and sharing that while it is being developed, just pushing the results back to the relevant master branch when development work has been completed?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL