On 5 March 2012 03:15, David Soria Parra <dso...@gmx.net> wrote:

> No. We will always need to be able to delete branches created, or tags
> (we had situations were we needed to retag, for example). That in
> itself can be used to do a forced push:

[snip]

> I am also not a strong believer trying to forbid as much as possible.
> If you have an SVN account you are trusted enough to not just delete
> something that is used. Also thanks to the decentralized model of git
> we all have backups, so we can just recreate it.

Additionally, if someone force pushes a branch overwriting work it can
always be recovered by a sysadmin from the reflog on the remote server.
 It's not a problem.
However I stress, that something is pretty wrong if people are force
pushing branches to the main repo and I'd personally be slapping wrists if
I saw it for any project I oversee.  Forcing pushes to
one's own topic branches in one's own fork can be acceptable providing
upstream maintainers know before merging (for example squashing some work
after peer review), but not to the central repo without some exceptional
reason - it could cause chaos otherwise.

Regards,

Drak