On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> OK what changed in the automatic updates from PHP5.3.9 to 5.3.10 that
> stops '<?=' working when it was working previously?
> I do not recall the state of short_open_tag changing but was that
> 'defaulted' to off when previously it was on?  I had thought that '<?=' was
> discussed and had been left alone, but now I'm told that is only on PHP5.4.0
>
> Something broke sites without any warning and it would have been nice to
> be told by that ISP that they were updating PHP anyway :(

In 5.4.0 the <?= will be always available regarding from the value of
short_open_tag
but that has nothing to do with 5.3, or your problem.
as far as I can see, we didn't changed neither the php.ini-*files, nor the
hard-coded default value for short_open_tag:

http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/main/main.c?view=annotate
http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/configure.in?view=annotate
http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/win32/build/config.w32.h.in?view=annotate
http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/php.ini-production?view=annotate#l226
http://svn.php.net/viewvc/php/php-src/branches/PHP_5_3/php.ini-development?view=annotate#l226

if your ini files are the same as with the previous install, then my guess
is that you (or your distributor) started compiling php
with --disable-short-tags, and you didn't explicitly enable the
short_open_tag from your php.ini
that is, or we have a bug. :/

Tyrael

--