Kris Craig wrote:
Personally, I HATE short_open_tab.  It has no value--*except*  that,
unfortunately, it's still widely used in many apps and even some frameworks
TTBOMK.  So, as worthless as it is, removing it completely would render
these apps inoperable.  Leaving it turned-off by default is a given I
think, as at very least people should be discouraged from using them.  I
also wouldn't be opposed to the idea of deprecating them, which would allow
these apps time to fix their code accordingly.

While I think that we SHOULD just have stuck up for '<?' when the 'problem' arose I'm resigned to having to use <?php nowadays and it's not a problem anyway when most of the html work is done in smarty templates, but '<?=' is still perfectly valid, and makes a lot more sense to keep - which it HAS been in 5.4 - It's just the tie-in with short_open_tag that has caused the agro in 5.3.10 with people following the 'recommendation' to switch it off without even advising they are doing so or understanding what else will be broken :(

When one has customers ringing up asking why their sites are down and YOU have not changed anything, finding out why took a little while this morning ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL