> I would then propose to make mbstring compile time mandatory.
>
> I'm against yet another global ini setting, I find the actual ini settings
> confusing enough to add one more that would moreover reflect mbstring one's
> (and add more and more confusion).
> Why not turn ext/mbstring mandatory at compile time, for all future PHP
> versions, like preg or spl are ?
>
> We do need multibyte handling either. ZendEngine takes advantage of
> mbstring for internal encoding as well, so I probably missed something as
> why it is still possible to --disable-mbstring (or not add
> --enable-mbstring) when compiling ? Has it a huge performance impact ?
>
> Thank you :)
>
> Julien.P

see
http://www.mail-archive.com/internals@lists.php.net/msg48452.html
http://lxr.php.net/opengrok/xref/PHP_5_4/UPGRADING#91
and
http://www.mail-archive.com/internals@lists.php.net/msg53863.html

basically the mbstring code in the ZE is only used if you
enable zend.multibyte, which is disabled by default, so it isn't mandatory
to have ext/mbstring for the default build/setup.
as you can see from the last link, I would support having ext/mbstring
builtin and always enabled, but I would like to hear from more people about
the pros and cons.

--
Ferenc Kovács
@Tyr43l - http://tyrael.hu