Hi!

And yes, it may very well be dangerous to use the wrong charset and now
that we have better support for GB2312 and other asian charsets in the
entities functions in 5.4 it is even more prudent to choose the right
one so we should provide some way to help people get it right short of
changing every call.

I'm not sure "changing every call" is such a big problem - it's one grep and one replace, can be done in one line of sed/awk/perl/php probably. But a bigger issue is here that people insist on using wrong charsets and expect language to have some magical external defaults that work for exactly their use case, instead of doing what they should be doing all along - putting charset right there in the argument. We need to get people off this mindset fast, since it is not a good one. Having tons of hidden defaults that modify behavior of functions called with the same arguments in hundreds of different ways is a coding and maintenance nightmare. Now if I write htmlspecialchars() I can never be sure if works right and uses UTF-8 - what if somebody messed with the INI setting because of some other broken library that required that to work?
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/