Can you really use setjmp and longjmp in that way safely? I thought it
was only safe to longjmp "back," not "forward" - you can use them to
fake exception support but that's it because you'll smash the stack
otherwise. Something like that...

OK, I'm thinking of this:

"Similarly, C99 does not require that longjmp preserve the current
stack frame. This means that jumping into a function which was exited
via a call to longjmp is undefined.[6] However, most implementations
of longjmp leave the stack frame intact, allowing setjmp and longjmp
to be used to jump back-and-forth between two or more functions—a
feature exploited for multitasking."

It does not sound like something that can be done in portable C.

Tom Boutell
P'unk Avenue
215 755 1330
punkave.com