Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
Andrew Faulds wrote:
>>>Personally I have to live with real life, and just want to help
>>>change that
>>>situation.
>>Me too. My code relies on out-of-date extensions and PHP features,
>>which is why
>>I'm*refactoring*  and*rewriting*  the parts which do.
>
>Exactly what I've been doing for the last year ... INCLUDING PEAR
>At the expense of adding NEW facilities for my customers.
>But with the goal posts continuing to be moved forward, it would be nice
>to have a goal to aim at? Which is why I'm asking for one ...
Well, there won't be one. If anything we are trying to move faster. More
frequent smaller releases is the goal. The 3 years between 5.2 and 5.3
was way too long.

So why is moving all new work to PHP6 and introducing a freeze on PHP5.4 such a problem? In hindsight PHP5.4 SHOULD have been PHP6. We also need to be able to have stability that we can aim for in production. Loading up a new set of rework requirements to often just means that previous work never gets finished :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL